Would you like your business on the first page of Google?
Even if you don’t have the resources and budget for Ads that larger companies have, as a local business you can feature on page 1 of Google by having a Google My Business listing.
As you can see in the image, the Google My Business listings are found between Google paid Ads and the organic listings.
When someone does a search, Google serves up it’s results on 3 main things; relevance, distance and prominence. The three businesses that have the best combination of these qualities will appear in this Google My Business box on the first page of Google. Pressing More Places will bring up the rest of the listings.
Google favours local
To claim your listing, first open a Google account if you don’t already have one and sign into your account. Then do the following:
1. In your browser, go to google.com/business
2. In the page that comes up, click on the green “START NOW” button.
3. The next page will be a map with a search box. Put your business address in the search box. If your business isn’t listed, it will tell you.
4. Click on ” I’ve correctly entered the name and address”.
5. In the box that comes up, fill in your business details. Once you’ve filled this out, click Continue.
6. Click Verify in the next box to confirm you are authorised to manage the business.
7. A box will now come up asking how you want to receive your verification code. Check the address, then click the Mail box.
8. In the box that comes up, click Send Postcard. The postcard will take 1-2 weeks to arrive.
When the postcard arrives, use the code on the card to verify your Google My Business account.
Most of the videos on YouTube allow you to pick up the embed code and put them onto your blog or website. However, don’t upload any videos that may enfringe copyright. Typically, the type of content to avoid includes TV shows, music videos, commercials, films and film trailers.
Go to YouTube, put the search term you are looking for into the search box, have a look at some of the videos that come up and make your choice.
Get embed code from YouTube video
Click SHOW MORE
When you do this, the code will change slightly.
When your video finishes, it will now go back to the first frame rather than show other related videos.
Go to the place in the post or your website where you want to see the video. Put your cursor at that point and paste the YouTube video. (Ctrl+V on a PC) or (Apple button+V on a Mac).
One of the many advantages of having your video on YouTube is the ‘embed’ function.
By default, if you download a video to YouTube, you allow others to pick up the code for that video and embed it on their sites. If you wish, you can turn that function off.
Perhaps you want to encourage tourists to visit the Tate gallery in London. If you go to YouTube, do a search you could find this video:
To get this video to appear, all you have to do is pick up the embed code under the video and paste it into the post.
This gives you the advantage of a well made video to illustrate your post and gives the video more views. This can lead to the video being watched by a wider audience and backlinks to the Tate’s YouTube channel and their website.
If you would like to start using video, embedding videos from YouTube is a good way to learn how YouTube works and liven up your posts.
Go to this next post, to find out how to get the embed code from a YouTube video.