Would you like your business on the first page of Google?
Even if you don’t have the resources and budget for Ads that larger companies have, as a local business you can feature on page 1 of Google by having a Google My Business listing.
As you can see in the image, the Google My Business listings are found between Google paid Ads and the organic listings.
When someone does a search, Google serves up it’s results on 3 main things; relevance, distance and prominence. The three businesses that have the best combination of these qualities will appear in this Google My Business box on the first page of Google. Pressing More Places will bring up the rest of the listings.
Google favours local
To claim your listing, first open a Google account if you don’t already have one and sign into your account. Then do the following:
1. In your browser, go to google.com/business
2. In the page that comes up, click on the green “START NOW” button.
3. The next page will be a map with a search box. Put your business address in the search box. If your business isn’t listed, it will tell you.
4. Click on ” I’ve correctly entered the name and address”.
5. In the box that comes up, fill in your business details. Once you’ve filled this out, click Continue.
6. Click Verify in the next box to confirm you are authorised to manage the business.
7. A box will now come up asking how you want to receive your verification code. Check the address, then click the Mail box.
8. In the box that comes up, click Send Postcard. The postcard will take 1-2 weeks to arrive.
When the postcard arrives, use the code on the card to verify your Google My Business account.